Saturday, September 3, 2022

Palliative Care Doctor Reveals What Most People Say Before They Die

....

 

with transcript 

Hospice doctors can offer a unique insight  into what it's like right before you die.  
For healthcare professionals who  
work in the field of palliative and hospice care,  providing support for terminally ill patients can  
give a rare insight into questions many of us face  when contemplating life and our own mortality.  
Now, in an exclusive interview with Health  Digest, Dr. Simran Malhotra — a triple board  
certified physician in internal medicine, hospice  and palliative care doctor, and lifestyle medicine  
coach — shares firsthand how her patients have  influenced the way she leads her own life in hopes  
it will inspire others to do the same. Dr. Malhotra details why she became  
so passionate about this line of work: "I remember one of my very first rotations  
during my internal medicine residency was in the  ICU and I just felt so much for the patients and  
their families because I felt like they didn't get  enough time and attention from the medical team.”  
“And so for me, when I did my first palliative  care rotation, I got to sit down with a family,  
I got to understand what their goals were,  what their hopes were, what their worries were,  
and it really allowed me to get in with them  in their experience and try to provide the most  
personalized and compassionate care possible."
When it comes to regrets, Dr.  Malhotra asks patients about what  
holds personal meaning in their lives. "I have thousands of patient stories  
from my experience, and if you ask someone else  that does what I do, we could probably narrow  
it down to three common themes or three  common regrets that most people have."  
One of the three common regrets most  frequently voiced by patients was not  
spending more time with loved ones, including  years lost due to a trivial disagreement.  
"I've had so many patients share that specific  regret of like, I wish I didn't lose 10 years of  
talking to my daughter or my son over whatever  the issue was, that's a very common one."  
Another common regret was working too  much. She points out that in the U.S.,  
success is so often linked to productivity that it  drives us to dedicate much of our time to work.  
"When you're working all the time, that means  you're missing out on that time with your  
loved ones or your family and yourself." Lastly, she has found that patients' third  
most common regret was a lack of courage  to pursue their passions and desires.  
"...we don't want to let people down, especially  when it comes to our parents. And there's a lot of  
cultural things that tie into this and everything,  but that is probably one of the biggest ones,  
like I wish I had done X, Y, or Z for myself." She goes on to explain that while her patients can  
have such unique personal stories, the regrets,  in the end, wind up being much the same.  
"In my several years of practice now,  if my patients are able to talk to me,  
there's two things that I always ask them in  my encounters and that is, what brings you joy,  
and then what's most important to you? And from  these questions, everyone shares their answers  
but then eventually it leads to this conversation  about the things they wish they had done."
Dr. Malhotra says there is a lot we can  learn from patients' lived experiences,  
including taking better care  of ourselves while we’re alive.  
One thing she frequently hears patients talk  about is the lack of care they had for themselves,  
which is becoming a more common  problem in the modern era.  
"People are getting sicker at a younger age. And  so before when we used to think about end of life,  
we were thinking about our 70s and  80s and 90s, but now it's not uncommon  
for us to be seen and caring for people  much younger at the end of life.”
Although fear, anxiety, and sadness are among  the most common emotions Dr. Malhotra sees  
patients experience before they pass,  she says hope is the most predominant.  
Many communicate their fear of the unknown,  concerns about their families, anxiety about  
potential pain they may experience, and sadness  around leaving the world and their loved ones  
behind. But many others feel a sense of peace. "I've kind of witnessed over and over again that  
there's this dance between what people hope  for desperately and what they fear the most,  
so it's like this dance between life and death." Fear of the unknown may also be a very challenging  
emotion for most — particularly  if they don’t practice religion.  
"When you get into religious  and spiritual beliefs, there are  
thoughts about what is coming, but for many  people, if they're not religious, they don't  
know, and so there's a lot of uncertainty  of dying and not knowing what's coming."  
Someone’s age and life stage can also play a  role in how much anxiety they experience.  
"There's a lot of anxiety specifically for our  younger patients who might have young families,  
young children. There's a lot of anxiety around  what's going to happen to my children if I'm gone,  
who's going to raise my children?” Being a palliative care doctor has  
given Dr. Malhotra a rare opportunity  to see both courage and vulnerability  
in her patients and their families. “All of these really difficult emotions that most  
of us I think have been taught by society to keep  in, right? When they don't share them openly but  
near the last several hours to days to weeks to  months of life these are things that you see in  
the hospital setting, or in the hospice setting.” “Most people share that they want to be home,  
they want to be without pain, and they  want to be with the people that they love,  
they want that certainty.”
While our material possessions may be very  
important to us in the present, Dr.  Malhotra shares that it's not often  
what patients feel most proud of at the end of  their lives. However, items that hold personal  
significance might begin to take on new meaning  as death approaches, such as written letters.  
Dr. Malhotra promotes the idea of "legacy  work," or finding ways to leave parts of  
ourselves behind for our loved ones  — especially for younger patients.  
"...write out birthday cards for their kids  until the age of 10 or 15 or record videos,  
especially nowadays with iPhones and tablets, it's  very easy to keep those things for a long time,  
or create ways to feel like they're,  one, in control of being able to share  
the things that are most meaningful to them.  And number two, that they won't be forgotten,  
that they're leaving behind something if  they don't have the time to live that life."
Dr. Malhotra tells us patients often take  the most pride in personal relationships,  
milestones, or accomplishments  towards the end of their lives.  
"It's always about their relationships or  about how they're so proud of their children  
or their great-grandchildren or the things that  they're doing with their life and their education  
and the things that they've accomplished." When taking stock of what we're most proud of,  
Dr. Malhotra suggests posing a series  of guiding questions to ourselves,  
known as the rocking chair test. "When I'm 90 years old and I'm sitting  
in that rocking chair looking back on my  life, what would I have wanted to accomplish  
and what would I be most proud of?" Dr. Malhotra states that the rocking  
chair test can help bring clarity when we're  feeling conflicted in our day-to-day lives as  
to what ultimately matters most.
As a patient nears death, Dr. Malhotra  says that their final words often  
vary based on a sense of fulfillment. "I found that my elderly patients will often  
share things like, I'm at peace or I've lived  a good life. Whereas, for my younger patients,  
they never, at least from what I can remember,  I haven't really had any patients that have  
shared openly any specific words. It really  comes down to like, I'm not ready to die,  
I have so much more living to do." Dr. Malhotra also suggests that  
while each person may wish to share what’s  uniquely individual to them, there are common  
expressions when the end is near. "When we're talking about the last  
hours to days, I think one thing that I make  certain to share with my patients and families  
is to share the very simple things I think  that matter most, right? Like I love you,  
please forgive me. I forgive  you. Thank you. I'm sorry.  
And oftentimes, when I'm telling this to a patient  or family, you can just see tears streaming down  
because these are some of the most meaningful  when said with intention, words that we can  
share with someone that we love."
It's not just the words of our dying loved ones  that are important and meaningful. In fact,  
the words we say to those who are departing  are just as important. Amid grief, it can be  
so challenging to find exactly the right words. "Oftentimes when you're at that point, sometimes  
you just don't know what to say. You're at loss  of words, right? And you just kind of, a lot of  
times people are thinking ‘I wish this wasn't  happening’ instead of thinking about the things  
that they do want to say with their loved ones." Dr. Malhotra explains it’s important to understand  
that just because a patient isn’t alert  doesn’t mean they can’t hear. She recommends,  
"Share the things that you want them to know  because hearing is often the last sense to go."  
The same holds true in reverse as well, she  says. You wouldn’t want to say anything you  
wouldn't want them to know or hear.
As a palliative doctor, she’s found  deep connections and community,  
particularly when it comes  to her own health risks.  
"I've cared for a lot of women at  the end of life, a lot of young women  
who have had the same genetic mutation as  I do. I carry the BRCA1 genetic mutation.  
For those that are not familiar with  it, it's the Angelina Jolie mutation.  
And it radically increases your lifetime  risk of breast and ovarian cancer."  
Some of her patients shared impactful words with  her on their deathbeds. One patient told her,  
“This doesn’t have to be you,” which  changed the entire trajectory of her life.  
It empowered her to take the extra initiative  to care for herself and get the answers she  
wasn’t getting from her medical team. In addition to living a healthy life,  
Dr. Malhotra’s patients have inspired her  to live her life with intentionality.  
"Since the pandemic I've been doing so  much inner work, I've been trying to  
figure out what's most important to me, I've  really, really started focusing on forgiveness  
and mending my relationships that  were not where I wanted them to be."  
When it comes to living fully, she  encourages individuals to share their  
stories and to find strength in a community  of people that inspires and uplifts them.  
"I know that every day I wake up, it's a gift, and  every day I wake up, I can create the life that  
I want to create. And if you ever feel like you  can't just know that this life that we're given  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment